The Decatur Livable Centers Initiative (LCI) is an exciting plan that builds upon the success of the city’s on-going revitalization efforts. The goals of the Decatur LCI are:
- To conduct a transportation enhancement study to create a circulation system that encourages pedestrians, bicyclists, and alternative modes of transportation.
- To create a range of housing choices and develop more opportunities for affordable housing.
- To reduce transportation demands and increase transit ridership.
- To utilize and capture green space taking advantage of the natural drainage systems to create open space and passive recreational opportunities.
- To create conditions to encourage pedestrian and bicycle traffic by providing streetscape facilities in and between the MARTA station, single-family neighborhoods, and schools.
- To create a quality, balanced environment by establishing policies to encourage mixed-use development in and around the MARTA station, such as affordable housing, neighborhood commercial, neo-traditional residential, and interactive recreational facilities.
- To encourage community and stakeholder collaboration in development decisions.
The Avondale MARTA station is at the heart of this study area. The city used this chance to further define the quality and character of its community while creating a new neighborhood centered around the MARTA station.
Avondale LCI Report [PDF]
For more information contact the Development Authority Office, email@example.com or 404-371-8386.
Avondale LCI Project Update:
Implementation of the Avondale LCI master plan is moving forward. The planned mixed-use development on the MARTA parking lot at College Avenue and Sam's Crossing has moved a step closer to reality with the selection of a consulting team to finalize the master plan for the site and design consultants for the parking deck and the condominium development.
Views of Proposed Phase I Development
Plan view of the proposed Columbia Park development.
East elevation of proposed development showing facade along E. College Avenue and existing pedestrian bridge to Avondale MARTA station.
West elevation of proposed development looking east along College Avenue toward City of Avondale Estates.